Monday, September 7, 2009

Countdown to surgery

8 more days!

I go under the knife on 9/15/09. My surgeon is Dr. Phil Downer of Seattle Orthopedic Center.

The surgery I am getting is called a PAO (Periacetabular Osteotomy.)

So, the condition I have is Hip Dysplasia. That means my hip sockets are too shallow and my joint is degenerating from being badly positioned. These pictures explain it:













Ouch! Not good.

This is what the PAO surgery will do:














Much better hopefully! The surgery cuts the pelvic bone, repositions the joint, and creates a deeper angle for the hip socket... protecting and preserving the joint.

The surgeon is one of a handful of surgeons in the US that are highly experienced with the PAO. The hospital I will be at is a very nice hospital. I visited a friend there in the past and was very impressed with the atmosphere! Kind of like a nice hotel.

Tomorrow I fly to Seattle for my pre-op check up.

Logistics are all in place. My friends and family are all being angelic. I couldn't hope for a better scenario for this surgery.

That being said I am quite naturally fucking scared out of my mind.

4 comments:

  1. Katie, I have had 3 c-sections, so I kind of know how you feel pre-surgery. You will be fine after, feeling silly for how worried you were because everything WILL be fine, but that won't help you now. I know nothing anyone says will really quell your anxiety, but I'll tell you what my husbands Uncle Peter told me the night before my last c-section. When I was completely freaking out, starting to say stuff like "What was I thinking, this was such a bad idea, I think I can wait longer...blah blah" he said "Listen, there is nothing you can do to stop it, so just fucking don't worry about it! Let the people who's lives are dedicated to doing this take care of you. You're just along for the ride. It will all be over soon." Then I took a long walk on the beach at night and calmed down a bit. Was it the words or the walk? Who knows. It is a little different because that baby coming out of me by one way or some other was inevitable, but the fear of the rest of the shit I'm sure is similar. So maybe try a midnight beach visit yourself! Good thoughts your way Katie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am just trying to let go and trust everyone to take care of me. Not something that comes easily to me.

    Thanks for the kind words.

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Katie. I too had a C-section and 4 knee surgeries. No fun, but thank goodness the medical options were available. Will be thinking of you!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nice message Bonnie! It is true, these things are no fun. Looking forward to moving on with life! :-)

    ReplyDelete